March is Literacy Month!
We are kicking off Literacy Month this week! Please mark your calendars with “Dress as You Favorite Literary Character” Day on Friday, March 10th and the Literacy Night Book Swap and Game Night on Wednesday, March 29th! We will have two buddy class activities – “Read-aloud with your Buddy” and a Literary Themed Door Decorating Contest for the K-2 Classes which their 3-5 Buddies classes will help with. Reading Logs will be coming home. Please have your student record and bring to school each day. We will be tracking our minutes in the lobby trying to reach a school goal of 100,000 minutes!!!
If you are able to help keep the fun going, please sign up here… http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050f44a8ae238-laurelhurst1
Click here for the literacy month calendar 2017
Teacher Book Recommendations:
Hot off the presses! Our teacher book recommendation list has been reorganized by reading level rather than grade level. Click here for the 2017 teachers recommendations complete list but here is a sample of teachers favorites!
- Ms. Thomas is “Yes,Yes,Yes” about No David (F) by David Shannon
- Roller Coaster (K) by Marla Frazee put Ms. Grant head over heels.
- Ms. Isaacson can’t stop yapping about Skippy Jon Jones (M) by Judy Schachner
- Ms. Tutt is a Mariners Fan so she can’t help loving the underachiever in the The Hank Zipzer books (R) by Henry Winkler & Lin Oliver
- Climb over a wall with Ms Backenstose and Mandy (S) for fun and adventure by Julie Andrews.
- Mr. Howard is almost as devoted to Where the Red Fern Grows (X) by Wilson Rawls as Old Dan and Little Ann are to Billy. Eight paws up!
*Clicking on the title takes you to the Scholastic Books Description