I hope that summer has treated you kindly, and that you’ve had time to connect with your children and enjoy them without the time restraints school brings. If you got a little time off work, or got to travel, even better! We at Laurelhurst took some time away, recharged our batteries, and are getting excited to return!
I wanted to let you know about a few updates since the last time I wrote and remind you of key dates and information:
Blended Classroom and Staffing Update. Thanks to the restored funding from the state, we have been able to restore class sizes and will not have a K/1 blend. We will have three kindergartens and three first grade classes. This means we will be hiring one additional teacher. We still anticipate two blended classrooms: a 2/3 blend and a 4/5 blend. We’ve been able to loop most of the upper grade students assigned to the blended classes, to give them the academic and social benefits we’ve seen in the past for students who stay with their teacher for two years.
New Reading Curriculum. Teachers and I have been doing a ton of professional development this summer, including significant training focused on our new reading curriculum. The kits have arrived and are in classrooms! If you would like to know more about the curriculum, visit this webpage.
Start Time/Early Release Days. A friendly reminder that our start time will be 7:55 and our release time will be 2:25 every day of the week, except early release Wednesdays. With the exception of the first day of school (Wednesday, September 6th) which will be a full day, every Wednesday for the remainder of the year will be an early release day. Students will be released at 1:10 on Wednesdays. The time will be used by teachers to do professional learning, monitor student progress, and plan together.
School Supplies. School supply lists are available by grade level on our school website. You do not need to wait for teacher assignments to go supply shopping. If you ordered supplies in the spring through the PTA, please pick up your kit(s) between 9:30 and 11:30 on August 24th or 25th. Otherwise, shop away. If school supplies are a financial burden for your family, please email Kristina Cerise ([email protected]). The Windermere Foundation donates school supplies for Laurelhurst students and Kristina can help gather what you need.
Medications at School. If your child will need medications at school (e.g. inhaler, epi pen, any over-the-counter-medications), please make sure you have submitted an updated Authorization Form before the first day of school, along with the medication. Seattle Public Schools requires these forms to be update each year.
- August 21-25—Kindergarten Jump Start (9am – Noon). For more info, see recent email to Kindergarten family or click here.
- August 24 and 25—School Supply Pickup (9:30-11:30am). Families who ordered supply boxes through the PTA can come by to pick up your supply kits. Kits not picked up during this time will be delivered to your student’s assigned classroom.
- September 1—Teacher assignments emailed (mailed to those without email addresses on file)
- September 5—Teacher meet and greet (3-4pm)
- September 6—First day of school (Grades 1-5) – Not an early release day
- September 6-8—Kindergarten conferences (by appointment)
- September 7—Principal Chat in the Library (8:05 am)
- September 11—First day of school (Kindergarten)
- September 13—First early release Wednesday (1:10pm)
- September 26—Curriculum Night (6pm)
- September 27-29—5th Grade Camp (information coming soon)
I can’t wait to see your students! I’m looking forward to a wonderful year of learning.
Dr. Sarah Talbot, Principal